Tuesday, February 20, 2007

On the road again

Towards Las Vegas
Feb 15, 2007 - 5S1L

West of Flagstaff (or Flag as I now call it, just like the locals) we take the longest stretch of Route 66 still in existence. It pulls us far the north of I-40, nearer the rim of the Grand Canyon. You can never see the drop, but you can sense it over the horizon.

Dessert in the desert at the Roadkill Cafe:

Cherry pie at the Roadkill cafe

Colin realizes Las Vegas is within easy reach, if we drive like demons into the night.
My camera decides it’s had enough of adventure, and gives up on autofocus.

Road to Vegas

There are semi-permanent police roadblocks on either side of the Hoover Dam. But they only check trucks and camper vans. Maybe they’re looking for big loads of explosives?
The dam at night is eerie.

Hoover Dam

Las Vegas bursts out of the desert, wider and brighter than I ever imagined. But I’m too tired to take advantage. Instead, I collapse in my Circus Circus bed, while Colin goes out to explore.

No comments: