Monday, February 5, 2007

Blades, Nerves of Steel

It’s been a lifetime dream of mine to skate on the Rideau Canal. And it came true thanks to my friends Geoff and Denise and their sons Gabriel (AKA 'Go Go') and Isaac (AKA 'I').
I had a few sober second thoughts after supper, while lacing up my skates on a park bench set at the edge of the ice. It’s been about a decade since I last went skating, and the blades felt treacherously slick under my feet. Plus there were several thousand Ottawa families blithely racing up and down in the dark. But once I got my ice-legs, it turned into an extended happy dream – soft white light from the lamp-posts, crisp wind in my face, and a mouth full of maple toffee. Geoff towed Gabe and Isaac at breakneck speeds across the ice, finishing off with a big snowy sled wipeout. Gabe challenged me to a race and won handily. Denise and I had a fine chat gliding under bridges towards the Chateau Laurier.
I'm now officially an Ottawa fan... life is good here, especially in the winter.

1 comment:

Meg said...

Davis, CA
Temp Max, Feb 5 2007: 19 C
Temp Min, Feb 5 2007: 4 C